Friday, January 20, 2012

Do I smell dead squirrel?

I've never smelled dead squirrel before.  But apparently that smell is one you just know when you smell it!  Here's how I found out.
So, we had a hole in our roofline.  Ok, so we had about 10 holes that were made by squirrels and woodpeckers.  We had them filled but then one morning I went out and looked up and there was a giant gaping hole right in the front eave.  Ever after that I would automatically go out the door and look up and there would be the big hole and usually a squirrel poking his head out looking at me.  Seriously.  Almost everytime.  There was that squirrel taunting me.  I got several quotes for people to fix it  -- and then the "bug guy" who takes good care of our bugs -- and had helped us with the other holes said he would do this one for free.  Really? free? Everyone else wanted $400, $300, $500.  Yes!  Sure!  Well, ok.  Great.  So he comes to fix it -- and he just needs one thing.  A saw.  Oh, and a hammer.  And do I know what kind of wood he should use?  Hmmmm.... I think I might have someone else look at it. 
So I finally get someone else to fix it.  They come, they start work... they can hear the squirrel but then the exterminator guy comes and goes in the attic and scares it out of the hole.  Phew.  Safe.  They patch it -- it looks really nice.
The next day I go outside I look up at where the hole was.  No hole, but I hear scratching.  I'm probably imagining it.  Nope.  I'm not.  There is a squirrel stuck in there.  So exterminator puts a trap up there with food and says he will come by on Monday (It's friday).  But he doesn't.  Scratching continues. But what to do?  Busy week.  Nathan working hard.  Then it is Wednesday -- something smells funny in Rocks room and in the hall.  I took one whiff and I know what it is!!!! Yuck.
Nathan comes home and I tell him I have a job for him.  He asks me how I know it smells like dead squirrel.  But then he confirms my nose-abilities by going in the attic and finding the poor thing. 
That should be the end of the story.  But it is not.
So, Nathan gets some gloves and a bag.  And as he goes to put it in the bag, it slips from his fingers and flunk, flonk, flupe... it drops down down into a air-duct hole!!!!!  It has to be removed.  But it is a narrow hole.  and deep -- like maybe 12 or 15 feet.  We try some long pieces of wood as chopsticks.  Nope.  WE are all going loopy on the very very thick smell at this point.  So Nathan has to shimmy down in there, but then he can not bend over to pick it up -- he has to do some crazy manuvering.  Finally gets it into a bag and then hands it to me.  I had a hose to use as a rope to get him out, but he was pretty wedged.  Using brute strength he pulled himself up by his fingernails.  It was crazy.
A true adventure.  Our kids thought it was amazingly fascinating! 
I don't have a picture fortunately/unfortunately... but I no longer look at squirrels quite the same way. 

5 comments:

Raree (RAH-ree) said...

Is it bad that I want to laugh? You're so good at story telling, that even with no images I can see it unfolding in my head and it's hilarious! Especially because it ultimately ended well. :) hahaha Poor Nathan. Poor squirrel.

Zane and Lexi said...

Oh my goodness... This sounds like a modern family episode!! So glad the ending resulted in getting rid of the squirrel and smell. We have black squirrels here in MI and the scare me, I swear they are possessed!!

CinnaPatty said...

Fantasical! I don't envy your squirrely adventures at all!

April and Michael Maughan said...

EWWW!
Hopefully that's the end of the adventures with holes and squirrels!

Alicia said...

phew...wiping the tears away...hee-larious. love you lady.

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com